The coaching minor is designed to prepare students who are pursuing a teacher certification in another field or pursuing another major to be entry level coaches in schools and youth sport leagues.
This minor is also useful to those who work with youth in sports leagues. Admission to this minor is by application only. Students should allow a minimum of three semesters to complete this minor.
Admission to the Coaching Minor
Requirements: Must be completed at the time of application.
- Must have completed BIOL 111, or its equivalent (BIOL 113 or 107) with a D or better.
- Must have a minimum Texas A&M GPR of 2.00
- Must have completed a minimum of 12 graded hours at Texas A&M.
- Note: Applicants are reviewed by a committee and admitted on a competitive basis. Thirty students per year are accepted.
- HLTH 216 – First Aid (can be taken away from Texas A&M)
- KINE 199M – Major’s Resistance/Flex
- KINE 215 – Fundamentals of Coaching
- KINE 306 – Functional Anatomy for Coaches (can substitute 1 hr of BIOL 319 or equivalent)
- KINE 302 – Applied Exercise Physiology for Coaches (can substitute 1 hr of BIOL 320 or equivalent)
- KINE 307 – Lifespan Motor Development
- KINE 318 – Athletic Injuries
Electives – Must select a minimum of 6 credits (3 courses)
- KINE 312 – Coaching of Baseball
- KINE 317 – Coaching of Football
- KINE 321 – Coaching of Volleyball
- KINE 351 – Coaching of Basketball
- KINE 355 – Coaching of Track
Credit Hours: 18 Hours